Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bravery Hearts

It is hard not to think of where we 
were last year at this time
and what was going on.
The struggle for life that was taking place, 
the way our world was changing so quickly.
There were a few things that helped.
A few people that made a difference 
in this road we were on. 
While Boaz was in the hospital
for his first round of chemo, 
the "art lady", in charge of toys,
crayons, and generally seeing that the 
patients were as happy as possible 
and the parents as..................
Well, it's kinda hard to say relaxed,
that's definitely not the right word. 
This lady was telling me about a program
the hospital had for cancer patients.
The program was normally for four year olds 
and up, but she decided to let Boaz in it anyway.
It is called Bravery Heart Beads for kids. 
For each procedure they have,
an infusion of chemo 
or blood, each scan or test, surgery....
the list goes on and on. 
The nurse marks it on their paper and 
once a week the "art" lady comes around 
and gives the children their beads.
In my opinion, the children really do earn the beads.
There is one bead however that is different.
It is the "brave" bead.
Only a nurse or doctor can award this bead.
When they think the child has behaved 
bravely in a situation, they sign off the 
brave bead on the list.
All of the "B" beads are brave beads, 
which they ran out of. 
Each other particular bead being
for a particular event.
Boaz really liked his beads, 
though I doubt he understood the meanings.
Paige and his brothers liked them and
liked to look up what each of the beads were for.
Bravery Hearts also sells things 
to support the program. 
It is free for the children,
but is only at select hospitals. 
So, for Boaz birthday we bought Paige
a Bravery Heart necklace.
She definitely earned it, 
standing by his bedside for hours to keep him happy
just so I could think, or tend to other things.
Each one is unique, in that the beads are 
just placed on without a real order. 
But each on has two things the same.
A hand blown glass heart...........
And a small "bravery" bead. 
 I couldn't help but thinking how fitting that 
was for Paige, loving her brother through 
the worst, staying by his side when possible,
and being very brave through it also.
God allowed us some GOOD times!!!
Nick ordered one for me also.
Every time I wear it, 
I think of my little man, of his bravery, 
and the love the Lord allowed us to share.
*********************
 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness
of the Lord in the land of the living.  Psalm 27:13
 
   



 

2 comments:

  1. That is so special! What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Karen, what a beautiful necklace!

    It makes me cry to look at each bead on each strand... and everything it took to earn those. Praise the Lord for no more pain and sickness. Praise the Lord for HOPE and that glorious reunion day that is coming!

    I am still praying for you and your family. I think of y'all often. I don't know if Paige remembers me from her visit to our church, but just give her a hug for me, okay?

    Love,
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed